Annual Canvass 2022
The annual canvass to update the Electoral Register
The Elections Team is currently preparing the new Electoral Register , which will be used from 1 December 2022 to 30 November 2023.
From Friday 29th July, we will be sending letters to homes across the city to help us to identify all those entitled to vote. The letter lists all the people living at the property that we currently have on the register of electors.
Please check the printed details, and instructions on who needs to respond, carefully. If you are required to respond, you should do this immediately.
We encourage you to respond online at www.householdresponse.com/sunderland , where you will be able to:
- amend a name
- add the names and nationality of any new occupants
- remove the names of those who no longer live at the address
- confirm there are no changes needed
- ask for a postal vote application form
- make changes to the open register
The form includes the web address and security codes needed to respond. Details of any other ways to respond will be printed on the letter.
Responding to the letter does not automatically register new occupiers to vote.
If you do not respond to the letter where required, the Electoral Registration Officer is required by law to follow it up.
How the annual canvass works
The Electoral Register is sent securely to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to be matched with their records.
The results of the data matching will determine how you are contacted. There are two possible routes:
- Route 1 - If all the people registered to vote at the property can be matched.
- Route 2 - If there are people at the property that cannot be matched.
Route 1 - Canvass Communication A
Properties where all the names exactly match will receive an A4 sized Canvass Communication A letter.
- If all the details of the names of all the people resident are correct, you do not need to respond. We recommend retaining the letter for future reference.
- If something is incorrect, you are legally required to respond. Make any changes now, as properties receiving this will not receive a reminder. If any names of residents, over the age of 16, are incorrect or missing or if someone is listed but has moved out, go to www.householdresponse.com/sunderland to make the necessary changes. You will need to enter your postcode and the two security codes on the front of the letter.
Route 2 - Canvass Form
Properties where names do not exactly match with government records, will receive a A3 sized canvass form.
- You are legally required to respond, even if there are no changes to make. If any names of residents, over the age of 16, are incorrect or missing or if someone is listed but has moved out, go to www.householdresponse.com/sunderland to make the necessary changes. You will need to enter your postcode and the two security codes on the front of the letter.
- If there are no changes to make, You can respond using an automated telephone system or online. Details of this are on the form.
How to register to vote
- Go to www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
- Fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details. You'll also need your national insurance number, which can be found on your national insurance card, or in official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits or tax credits.
- Look out for a confirmation to say you're registered.
If you need assistance contact our City and Neighbourhood team . We can complete your application over the phone.