When you are celebrating the birth of your new baby, you may feel the need for a special occasion to gather together your closest family and friends.
Any parent can arrange a naming ceremony which can:
- Welcome your child into the family and wider community
- Announce the names that have been chosen, and maybe give the reasons behind the choice
- Make promises of commitment to nurture and support the child into adult life
- Choose other adults who are prepared to promise a special supportive relationship with the child
- Reflect on the miracle of birth and recognise that children are society's hope for the future
Ceremonies can also be used to celebrate adoptive children and step-children into a new relationship and form part of the family bonding within an extended family unit.
Specially written ceremonies are available containing choices to make your naming ceremony unique with special meaning to your family. You will be able to choose promises to the child, promises to your partner, supporting adult promises to the child, include grandparents in the ceremony and even refer to absent guests. You may choose from a selection of poems and readings to enhance the ceremony and can present your child with a special gift to mark the occasion. A souvenir record of the ceremony will be signed and presented during the event.
Please note: The naming ceremonies offered are secular and cannot contain religious references. Parents who wish to have a religious ceremony should contact their local church or community.
Naming Ceremonies are available in the Mowbray Suite at the Civic Centre and Approved Premises in Sunderland.
To arrange a Naming Ceremony please contact Life and family.
Fees and charges will vary depending on time of week and venue chosen and are payable when booking your ceremony.
IMPORTANT NOTICE:Neither the Naming Ceremony nor any document issued following the ceremony has any legal status.
Please Note: The birth must be registered and birth certificate must be produced when booking the ceremony.