Toggle menu

Caring for someone

If you provide care for someone who lives with you or you are a resident care worker, you may get a 25% discount off your bill.

Unpaid carer or caring for a relative

You will not count for Council Tax if you provide care or support for at least 35 hours a week to someone who lives with you.

The person you care for must not be:

  • Your partner
  • Your spouse; or
  • Your child under 18 years of age.

The person being cared for must normally get one of the following benefits:

  • The middle or highest rate care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component at either standard or enhanced rate
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • Increase in Constant Attendance Allowance under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions scheme
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Highest rate of Constant Attendance Allowance payable on top of full rate Disablement Benefit paid for an industrial injury

To apply for this discount you must fill in a carers application form.

Return your completed form by:

Care worker

You may also be entitled to a discount if you are:

  • Engaged to provide care through a connection with the Local Authority, the Crown or a charity
  • Engaged or employed as a care worker for at least 24 hours a week by the person who requires the care
  • Paid no more than £44 per week
  • Resident in the premises where the care is given, or in premises which have been provided for the better performance of the work 

To apply for this discount please supply the details required by:

Find out further information about care discounts for Council Tax.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email