Toggle menu

Appeal against a decision we have made

You can appeal if you disagree with a decision we have made about your Council Tax liability or, the refusal to award an exemption, discount or disabled relief.

You must appeal in writing, detailing the reasons for your appeal and including any evidence which supports your appeal.  Send to:

Executive Director of Corporate Services, Civic Centre, Sunderland, SR2 7DN

What happens next?

We have two months to make a decision. We will tell you in writing of our decision and if you are successful, we will make any necessary change to your Council Tax account.

You can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service if:

  • We have not made a decision within two months
  • We do not accept your reasons, or
  • We make a change you do not agree with

Making an appeal does not mean you can stop paying your Council Tax. If your appeal is successful, you may be entitled to a refund of any overpaid Council Tax.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email